SPRING IS HERE!
Take advantage of it—get out there and MoVe!
Physical activity is important, and now that the weather is perking up, it’s time to get outside and start getting AcTiVe.
Physical activity is important because it
- Improves overall health and wellbeing
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Helps you shed those unwanted pounds
- Improves your mental health
- Reduces your risk of chronic diseases
How much physical activity do you need?
The CDC recommends everyone get a combination of aerobic activity and strength training every week.
- Children need at least 60 minutes of aerobic activity every day, and strength training at least 3 days a week
- Adults need at least 150 minutes of aerobic activity each week (that’s 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week) and strength training at least 2 days a week
Click here for more information about the CDC’s recommendations for physical activity
What can you do?
Physical activity is not just about hitting the gym. House work, gardening, playing a game of softball with the family—all of this counts as physical activity. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to go for a walk. Ten minute bursts of moderate walking (get that heart rate up) can do a world of good! Go for a 10 minute walk on your lunch break, and then do 20 minutes after supper and you are set for the day! Click here for more information about the benefits of walking.